Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Planning This for Decades

Mickeys01

The set list for Mickey's Blue Room landed on my forearm (incredibly uninteresting photo below), which was actually so much easier to read than sharpie on paper from the floor. Maybe Dave will invent an armband that I can write on... No, then it'll look too much like an 'arm sock' which is something I don't understand and wish girls who play (or in most cases, don't bother to actually play) the rock and roll wouldn't wear. They're just sending the wrong message to the kids with their ill-fated hair color and horrible arm socks. It's a fucking sock. That's not where you put it.

I snuck in some really, really old songs, and didn't play either of the new songs I've just written. It felt like an old school kind of night. After Jessica left, I was the only girl in the place. Just like old times. Although I've never done it and probably never will, it's so tempting when I'm adjusting the guitar in between songs to disclose the muse (or, in most cases, idiot) for the next song. But that's the beauty of the song, for me - in that I can take all animosity and drip it bit by bit into nice melodies and clever, curt & sometimes even rhyming lyrics. I've never told anyone (except maybe Dave) who all of these songs are about. Some are easy to guess, I suppose. The new ones will be trickiest to decode because no one has any idea what I've been up to. But none of the songs are about just one person - they're like a 3-minute collage of all of the good and the bad and even the only-okay people I meet, love, hate and love again. I never hate for long, it's tiresome.

But I'm truly grateful for the idiots. My newest track, "Another Witching Hour", would not have been born without idiot short guy, who just managed to irritate me enough to write it down on paper one night (and it can all be born in just one night). I'm not sure vindication is possible, especially coming from a slight girl like myself, but I might die singing as I try...

I really did want to trade guitars with John Kopf. I know his name is detailed on the neck, but that would just make it cooler for me to have. That way I would play shows and people would be trying to figure out who makes this suspicious brand of 'John Kopf' guitars.

Ahhh, I love Ricky, but who doesn't? The way that he answered his cell phone mid-chorus and drifted back in to the song without missing more than 2 beats was wonderful. He is truly a magical, atomic elf.

Thank you to Ethan for taking photos (showcased above), and for traveling so far east without fellow MTV-er's to assist. Thank you to Nick, Zack, Yessicah, Daveed and the Rock. And lastly, thank you to Tim, for being a noble and brave gentleman, for which I can only hope will inspire others in the years to come.

Mickeys04

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey!

That could have been important, it wasn't, but it could have been